Stop and Ponder the Poems


What I love about poetry is its complexity. Like Mary Poppins’
bag, countless things are found upon searching. Imagery, tone, rhythm, etc. are
all condensed into just a few stanzas; condensed in such a way that we can chew
on the literary work all day.

Literature in general is just lovely.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Lust

I saw you in the city streets
I saw your mind was simple
my offer to-
you was disdained

But after time you looked my way
Attrician Warefare has no rules
the object is-
not peace

Cunning are the ways which I kill
but who knew men should be so blind
 to be enticed to come and die?

The best is this,
after you know my motive's truth
again I'll call
again you'll turn
again by your hand I'll-
rape you



So this poem is personifying lust (duh). The first stanza introduces the voice as a person who is looking at the city streets for the simple minded person. This is a metaphor relating to the woman of Folly in Proverbs 9:13-18.

The second stanza tells how the simple minded man eventually turns to the woman of Folly. The next three lines in the stanza is a random thought that Lust has- you have to remember that in the spiritual realm there is no negotiating, there is no bargain that will be honored. There's nothing that could possibly benefit you in the long run which comes from sin. Attrician warefare is war where the object is not peace. The single goal is killing the enemy.

So Lust continues on his chain of thoughts to tell us that there are many ways which the spiritual world attacks us, but what he finds- and what I frequently am baffled by- is that the number one trick that Satan plays on us, which we stumble with the most, is Lust. Think about it for a second. Instead of Satan attacking us with something a little more obvious he cunningly makes our death look desirable. Imagine is you're a soldier and you see the enemy approaching you. Instead of openly attacking you, he says, "Hey you, come stab yourself on my sword" and you did it. You'd say, psh I'm not that dumb- but we all do it. Not only that, but after we realize that it's wrong and that lust really is a bad road to go down, we continue to walk down the same street that the woman of Folly is on.

1 comment: